Friday, August 8, 2008

The Olympics

S.O.T.D.

Everything Man - Talib Kweli


Pretty funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOiWaTSypt4


8.8.08, gotta write something about the olympics.

Taking a stand for what you believe in. One thing I will never understand is why some athletes will never take a stand on issues such as Tibet.

I am not naiive; I understand that taking a stand might cause you to lose endorsements, which, for people like LeBron James would mean losing Nike, Bubblicious, Powerade, and who knows what else. But when you are going to command 20+ million a year for your next contract, have your own company, and even after losing your nike deal, will be able to come out with your own shoes and clothing line, you do not need to worry about money. This is a worst case scenario by the way: we all know that LeBron James, no matter what stand he takes, will always have some sort of endorsement deal. Tata motors in India will take him up and pay him well if no one will, he'll be fine.

I understand the pressure in taking a stand, I just don't understand why they wouldn't support peace and happiness. Maybe they're emo or something.

I am going to tune into the olympics for a few reasons this year: I want to see USA basketball and how they face an improving world, Michael Phelps becasue apparently he's a beast, and how many people decide to take a stand.

Oh, and go India, all 4 of us or so. In I don't know what. Fine, we'll stick to the medical and engineering fields.

No comments: